The Foundation’s approach is based on years of experience in creating warm and friendly environments to foster relationships. For a long time, Richard Cohen and Marcia Horowitz, for whom the Foundation is named, have conducted similar activities for other nonprofit organizations and in their private capacities, as part of their "giving back to society".
The Foundation will leverage the wide network of relationships with leaders of other ethnic groups that Richard and Marcia have established.
- Richard has Chaired Muslim Outreach for many years for a major Jewish organization in Westchester and Fairfield Counties. He has created and led many multi-group events, including an annual community “We Are All Immigrants” Passover Seder dinner and many other gatherings.
- Richard drafted and spearheaded an Anti-Hate Resolution which was passed unanimously by the Westchester County Board of Legislators.
- For Mentoring in Medicine, a nonprofit that assists underprivileged students to enter the healthcare profession, Richard and and Marcia designed and managed the creation of its website, developed core evidenced-based presentation material and co-sponsored several of its events.
- For El Centro Hispano, a nonprofit that assists the Hispanic community, Marcia and Richard were recently named Honorary Co-Chairs of its 45th Annual Gala. The early childhood program is named after them and they advise El Centro Hispano on an ongoing basis.
- Richard is on the Muslim-Jewish Advisory Council of New York and the Inter Jewish Muslim Alliance (IJMA) based in Washington, D.C.
- Marcia advised and was on the Board of Volunteers of Legal Services, which arranges for pro bono legal services for more than 200 community-based groups in New York City. She is the only non-lawyer on the board, a position created for her.
- The Museum of Jewish Heritage -- A Living Memorial to the Holocaust established The Marcia Horowitz Education Fund for Cross-Cultural Awareness. Its purpose is to educate Muslims, Christians and other non-Jews on the Holocaust and its universal message -- to be replace hate and prejudice of minorities with knowledge and acceptance.